Installation of the refbase package requires:
- the refbase scripts (official release or latest development version from SVN)
- a web server (like the Apache HTTP Server)
- PHP (version 4.4.0 or greater) with enabled session support & installed PHP MySQL module and PCRE (version 6.5 or greater); PHP >=5.2 is strongly encouraged
- MySQL (version 4.1.x or greater required for Unicode support)
- the Apache Friends project offers a complete solution for above mentioned services (Apache, PHP, MySQL), called XAMPP; the easy-to-use package is available for different platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris).
- optionally, Bibutils for import and export of various formats (e.g., Endnote & BibTeX)
In addition, there are some required php.ini settings.
refbase-0.9.0 or greater has these further requirements:
- the features that allow for automatic renaming of uploaded files require the iconv functions, i.e. PHP must have been compiled with the
- Unicode (UTF-8) support requires the multibyte string functions being enabled on your PHP server, i.e., PHP must have been compiled with the
--enable-mbstringconfigure option; however, refbase can be used with a latin1 (ISO-8859-1) database if multibyte support is not available on your server